Friday, August 7, 2009

Suzi Gafnea Bynum 9/26/66 - 7/31/09


When I started this blog last year, this is not exactly what I had in mind of posting. However, life is not always about vacation, fun and happiness. My sister, Suzi passed away last week. She has had diabetes since the age of 10, and was 2 months shy of her 43rd birthday. She has had a list of health problems from kidney failure, loss of vision, and most recently unable to walk without help. She suffered a stroke around lunch time on Friday, was doing okay after, in fact, she has been hospitalized so many times that I really didn't think much differently this time. Mario came home from work early around 4:00, which should have told me something given the hours he has been working lately, and told me we had to leave for the hospital right then. I knew that Suzi had suffered a stroke but when I spoke to Mom earlier, Suzi was making improvements, and everything seemed to be looking good. They found the blood clot that caused the stroke, placed her on medicine to dissolve the clot, which caused severe hemorrhaging on the brain. The doctors kept her on the respirator long enough for all of the family to get to the hospital to say their goodbyes. I'm going to miss my sister dearly, to say the least. When I think of having my next child without her there, it breaks my heart, she never had children of her own and she loved mine to pieces. I have never known life without her. She and I probably couldn't have been more different, from the way we dressed, our personalities and overall style, but that doesn't change the bond we shared as sisters. I know she gave her life to Christ and therefore I know she has a perfect, diabetes free body now and will spend eternity in heaven. I love you sis and look forward to seeing you again some day.

No comments: